This Website is operated by GMB (GMB, we, us or our, for short) [a membership-based trade union organisation. We are the “data controller” (i.e. the legal entity which decides the means and purpose for the processing of your personal data) for the purpose of applicable data protection law.
How we use your personal data
How we use your information
If you contact us about our services, the forms you complete or the emails you send may include information about you, such as your name as the contact point for an organisation, your email address, the organisation's address and your enquiry. We use this information to respond to your enquiries.
• GMB holds personal data about its members. This data is used to process your membership, provide you with information from GMB, to enable us to carry out our membership activities and to provide us with management and statistical information.
• GMB primarily collects and maintains personal information so that it can carry out its functions as a trade union, provide membership services and comply with certain statutory obligations. We will contact members about matters relevant to your trade union membership and in relation to membership services and relevant campaigns, including without limitation to discharge our statutory duties under TULRA (Trade Union and Labour Relations Act as updated and in force from time to time). *Please note, where a member has opted out of each form of communication (E-mail, SMS, Phone) GMB will revert to physical post as a means of discharging our statutory duties as above
• The personal data will be used for a range of union-based activities relating to its running. These include the maintenance of records, monitoring for equal opportunity purposes, assisting with employment disputes, ballots, injury claims and other services and benefits.
• All information (updated as appropriate) will be kept throughout an individual's time as a member and for such reasonable period (and to the extent necessary) after membership as may be needed to enable the member to access any post-membership benefits.
• From time to time we may also use, or make your personal information available to other carefully selected organisations for the purpose of marketing GMB approved/branded products and services, or for research purposes.
• Where, very occasionally, GMB uses the services of these organisations, they are contractually obliged to process your data on behalf of the union as data processor and in a secure and confidential manner under our strict instructions.
• We may access and disclose individually identifiable information to enable us to comply with applicable laws and lawful government requests to operate its systems and to protect itself or its users.
• By joining GMB you agree to our processing of your personal information, including sensitive personal information, such as trade union membership, for the purposes outlined above.
• In line with the legitimate interest we have in promoting the interests of our membership, we will also process your enquiries to provide you with information about the services we offer.
• Personal data will also be available to our employees, officers and officials (both at head office and branch regional offices) and others including agents, contractors and other service providers who are associated with the union.
• Your information may be collected by and/or shared at the relevant regional-branch level and, in turn, any regional-branch that collects your personal information may share that with GMB as the national over-arching parent organisation.
• This might include replying to your enquiry, or sending you our newsletter if you ask to be added to our mailing list (see further below).
• We may also process enquiries to take steps you ask of us with a view to entering into an agreement to provide you with our services.
• You are under no obligation to provide us with any details, but if you don’t provide all relevant information, we may not be able to help.
We will keep you up to date with information on news and campaign activity by mail, email and/or text unless you would like to be removed from that list (in which case, please let us know by writing or by clicking unsubscribe at the bottom of each Newsletter or the relevant subscription option when you first provide or update your personal information).
In order to send you the information that is most relevant to your location, we may also process your postcode and address.