Consultation begins today on scheme to shut almost half city’s council-funded facilities.
GMB has reacted with fury as secret plans to close almost half of Birmingham Council funded Children’s Centres emerged.
Consultation begins today  on a scheme to close 26 of 61 centres across the city. [See note 2 for full list of children’s centres earmarked for closure]
Not only will the closures lead to desperation among families who rely on the centres – dozens of jobs will be at risk.
Birmingham Council has been devastated by the Conservative’s austerity agenda – with £770million already slashed from its budget.
Gillian Ogilvie, GMB Regional Organiser, said:
“These plans are absolutely disgraceful – and a shocking indictment of austerity Britain.
“Birmingham City council needs to do more to stop these devastating closures and listen to the people that need to use these services, rather than just allowing the government to continue with their agenda.
“The GMB is calling on the council to try and prevent these closures and demand more money from the government to ensure vital support for parents and families are provided.
Contact: Gillian Ogilvie on 07850 768 351 or GMB Press Office on 07958 156846 or at email@example.com
Notes to Editors
 List of children’s centres at risk:
• Four Dwellings – Edgbaston
• Lillian de Lissa and Belgravia – Edgbaston
• Shenley Fields – Edgbaston
• Barney’s – Erdington
• Lakeside – Erdington
• Osborne – Erdington
• Pype Hays – Erdington
• Anderton Park – Hall Green
• Hall Green (Gospel Oak) – Hall Green
• Job Marston – Hall Green
• Muath – Hall Green
• Park Road – Hall Green
• Adderly – Hodge Hill
• Washwood Heath – Hodge Hill
• Bordesly Village – Hodge Hill
• Six Ways – Hodge Hill
• Summerfield – Hodge Hill
• Kings Norton Camp Lane – Northfield
• Merrishaw – Northfield
• Weoley Castle – Northfield
• Maypole – Selly Oak
• Reameadow – Selly Oak
• Bush Babies – Sutton Coldfield
• Four Oakes – Sutton Coldfield
• The Deanery – Sutton Coldfield
• Bordesley Green East - Yardsley