GMB Experts in the World of Work
Join GMB today
 Follow @GMB_union

ICO To Contact 1,200 On Blacklist

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

GMB Welcome Announcement That ICO Will Contact 1,200 Workers On The Construction Industry Blacklist

1,200 to be contacted should get in touch for help to protect their rights and to claim compensation and we will look where possible to join them to our High Court action starting next week says GMB.

GMB, the union for construction workers, commented on the announcement that the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) will to write to 1,200 potential blacklisted workers telling them they are on the blacklist. See notes to editors for ICO statement and table with areas that people on the blacklist came from.

Maria Ludkin, GMB National Officer for Legal and Corporate Affairs, said “GMB is pleased that, after almost two years of pressure, ICO has bowed to the inevitable and is writing to 1,200 people whose national insurance number states that they are on the blacklist.

So far 467 out of the 3,214 on the list know they are on it. With these 1,200 now being contacted that leaves 1,546 still to trace. GMB will want to know how ICO and the employers, who ran the blacklist and who are now offering compensation up to £100,000 per person, plan to trace them.

GMB urge the 1,200 to be contacted to get in touch with our blacklisting liaison person to help them protect their rights and claim compensation. See contact details for Phil Read at foot of this press release.

GMB will look where possible to join them to our existing High Court action. Next week (27th November) particulars of claim will be served by Leigh Day in the High Court. A further hearing is due on 29th November, in front of the Senior Master, to make a decision about a group litigation order.”

End

Contact:  Justin Bowden on 07710 631351 or Maria Ludkin 07956 632 657 or GMB press office at 07921 289880 or 07974 251 823. GMB Scotland Richard Leonard 07703 465447 or Wales Martin Hird 07809 769378

For Leigh Day: David Standard 07540 332717 or Michael Newman 0795 223 9358 or Chris Benson on 07795425649.

The 1,200 people on blacklist being contacted should call Phil Read at GMB on  07840 897997 or email him blacklisted@gmb.org.uk

Contact Dave Smith 07882 579 452 re Blacklist Support Group

Notes to editors

1 Where blacklisted workers came from.

Blacklisted workers – number in each area

 

 

 

 

 

Location

Number on the blacklist

 

Location

Number on the blacklist

 

 

Aberdeen City

14

 

Kent

95

Aberdeenshire

54

 

Kingston upon Hull

62

Anglesey

3

 

Lancashire

60

Angus

5

 

Leeds

53

Argyll & Bute

7

 

Leicestershire

5

Bath and North East Somerset

1

 

Lincolnshire

13

Bedfordshire

4

 

Manchester

183

Berkshire

2

 

Merseyside

173

Birmingham

69

 

Midlothian

3

Bristol

25

 

Monmouthshire

9

Buckinghamshire

20

 

Norfolk

7

Cambridgeshire

12

 

North Ayrshire

67

Cardiff

10

 

North Lanarkshire

22

Ceredigion

9

 

North Yorkshire

12

Cheshire

64

 

Northamptonshire

14

City of London

454

 

Northern Ireland

1

Clackmannanshire

3

 

Northumberland

7

Cornwall & Isles of Scilly

3

 

Nottinghamshire

12

Cumbria

27

 

Orkney Islands

1

Denbighshire

34

 

Oxfordshire

8

Derbyshire

16

 

Perth & Kinross

2

Devon

19

 

Powys

2

Dorset

8

 

Redcar and Cleveland

43

Dumfries & Galloway

6

 

Renfrewshire

15

Dundee City

21

 

Rhondda Cynon Taf

2

Durham

11

 

Rhondda, Cynon, Taff

3

East Ayrshire

18

 

Rotherham

56

East Lothian

1

 

Shropshire

2

East Riding of Yorkshire

16

 

Somerset

5

East Sussex

8

 

South Lanarkshire

16

Edinburgh, City of

52

 

Southern Ireland

1

Essex

57

 

Staffordshire

16

Falkirk

35

 

Stirling

7

Fife

24

 

Suffolk

9

Glasgow City

140

 

Surrey

32

Gloucestershire

32

 

Swansea

15

Gwynedd

12

 

Tyne & Wear

69

Hampshire

50

 

Warwickshire

1

Hereford & Worcester

3

 

West Dunbartonshire

8

Hertfordshire

14

 

West Lothian

12

Highland

15

 

West Sussex

11

Inverclyde

26

 

Wiltshire

5

Isle of Wight

1

 

Wokingham

10

2 ICO blog: ICO to write to 1,200 potential blacklisted workers - 19 November 2013

Today marks another step forward in our work to help those included on the construction industry blacklist, as we send out the first of around 1,200 further letters to individuals who we believe may have been on the list.

We’re asking those people to reply to us and provide some form of identification if they would like us to check whether the information included on the list is about them. If it is, then they will receive a copy of their information.

How much detail they’ll receive in response to their enquiry will vary in each case. The ‘blacklist’ consists of a list of names plus index cards, but not every name has a corresponding index card. Some of the names listed have other details recorded alongside them, such as National Insurance numbers and dates of birth, but some cards contain very little additional information and what they do contain is often out of date or inaccurate. That is why we’ve not been able to write to more people in the past.

In particular the addresses on the index cards are mostly out of date or incomplete so instead we have used National Insurance numbers in order to find an up to date address. This means that the addresses we have begun writing to have not been taken directly from the blacklist, but have instead been provided by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). We sent the DWP around 1,700 sets of details in the cases where we had a full National Insurance number. They were then able to check them against their records, providing us with up-to-date addresses where there was a match with their records.

There were around 500 or so cases where the DWP were not able to provide an address. In around half of these cases this was because the person had died, while the rest did not match with information on their system.

This is not the first time we’ve written out to people on the blacklist. Earlier this year, we wrote to 103 people in the cases where we had the individual’s address and were able to establish its accuracy with the help of Equifax.

In total, we’ve now taken over 4,000 calls from individuals wanting to know if their name was included on the blacklist, using the fast-track process we established from day one. We have also received over 1,200 written requests, from which 467 individuals have been provided with copies of their information. That figure will continue to grow in the coming weeks, as we help more and more people.

We’ve also set up a webpage that brings together information on the blacklist, for anyone who is concerned they may have been included on it.

David Smith
Deputy Commissioner and Director of Data Protection
19 November 2013

 

Share this page
+1