GMB Experts in the World of Work
Join GMB today
 Follow @GMBPressOffice

Bombardier Job Losses In Northern Ireland

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

580 Job Losses In 2016 And 500 Jobs Under Threat In 2017 At Bombardier Will Have Devastating Impact On The Northern Ireland Economy

The Executive must take urgent action to halt the decline of manufacturing jobs in Northern Ireland says GMB.

GMB, the union for engineering workers in Northern Ireland, commented on the announcement by Bombardier on 17th February that there would be 580 job losses in 2016 followed by a further 500 jobs at risk in 2017 in Belfast. See notes to editors for copy of the story running on Press Association dated 17th Feb 2016.

Michael Mulholland, GMB regional officer, said: "Bombardier are seeking to reduce the Belfast workforce by some 580 jobs in 2016 with further plans for another 500 jobs to be put at risk in 2017. These cuts are part of the overall loss of 7,000 jobs worldwide announced by Bombardier.

These job losses will have a massive impact on the Northern Ireland economy as they will see the loss of well paid jobs from the local economy.

The devastating impact of these job losses in Northern Ireland comes on top of the loss of manufacturing jobs at Michelin and Gallaher’s.

The Northern Ireland Executive must take urgent action to halt the decline of manufacturing jobs in Northern Ireland.

The Executive should convene a high level meeting to see what has to be done to protect our manufacturing jobs and ensure that there are continued opportunities in the sector. This should be in addition to efforts to secure alternative employment for those highly skilled workers who will be made redundant.”

Ends

Contact: Michael Mulholland on 07974 018413 or GMB Belfast office on 02890 393340 or GMB Press Office: 07921 289880 or 07974 251823 or 07970 863411

Notes to editors

1 Copy of details on Press Association dated 17th Feb 2016

BOMBARDIER AEROSPACE MANUFACTURER TO AXE 580 JOBS

Bombardier plans to cut its workforce by about 580 jobs this year.

The Canadian-owned aerospace manufacturer has also warned a further 500 jobs could be lost during 2017.

The move follows a review of the firm's Belfast requirements.

A statement said: " Bombardier Inc announced today that it is taking steps to optimise its workforce in 2016 and 2017. In line with this, we have reviewed our requirements in Belfast and regret to confirm that we must adjust our workforce levels downwards by around 580 this year.

"In addition, we expect to have a further potential reduction of some 500 next year."

Some 200 Bombardier employee jobs are currently at risk of redundancy. The company said a formal redundancy notice would be lodged with the Department for Employment and Learning which would be followed by a 90-day consultation period.

A further 380 agency posts are also expected to be released from their assignments during 2016 - this includes 60 agency workers who left last month, Bombardier said.

The statement added: " We deeply regret the impact this will have on our workforce and their families, but it is crucial that we right-size our business in line with market realities.

"We will continue to evaluate all opportunities to significantly reduce our costs, improve our competitiveness, and boost our profitability, whilst focusing on the unique capabilities that will help shape and secure our future."

Share this page
+1