GMB Baggage Scanners Strike At Stansted Airport Called Off After GMB Members Vote To Accept Improved Offer
I am glad that common sense has prevailed and that Mitie has agreed to pay what GMB members have been asking for since October of last year says GMB officer
GMB members employed by Mitie at Stansted Airport have voted to accept an improved offer and GMB have now informed the company that strike action has been withdrawn.
On Thursday 15th August ACAS said: "Acas held talks with the parties involved in the Stansted baggage handlers dispute today. These talks, which have ended for the day, were constructive and resulted in an improved offer. Both parties remain in contact with Acas."
GMB agreed to consult the members on this improved offer and this concluded today (19th Auguest).
Earlier last week on Monday 12th August GMB announced that members employed by Mitie at Stansted Airport had returned an overwhelming 92% vote for strike action in a dispute over pay cuts for staff employed to screen checked in baggage before it goes into the holds of aircraft at the airport.
GMB also gave notice of strike action at the airport by these staff on Friday 23rd, Saturday 24th, Sunday 25th and Monday 26th from 3.30am to 6am each day and again from 3.30pm to 6pm each day.
In June of this year Mitie imposed an 18 month pay deal backdated to 1st October 2012 which included a cut in premium rates for night work and overtime which cut pay by 3.5% and increased pay rates by 2%. The next review is due under this deal on 1st April 2014 not 1st October 2013 as per the agreement.
Gary Pearce, GMB Regional officer, said " I am glad that common sense has prevailed and that Mitie has agreed to pay what GMB members have been asking for since October of last year.
I have now given notice to the company that the strike action has now been withdrawn.”
Contact: Gary Pearce, GMB Organiser on 07850 036952 or GMB Press Office on 07821 289880 or 020 7391 6755.