UNION

Popup

Guarantee wages. Protect people. Save lives

Call on Boris Johnson to act - NOW


Unless the Government urgently intervenes to guarantee incomes, it risks turning a public health crisis into a new personal debt crisis for hundreds of thousands of families.  

We need a people's bailout. And we need one now. 

Huge numbers of people in the UK were covering basic living costs on credit even before this crisis struck. Suddenly finding income dry up is already pushing people to the financial brink. 

  • 11.5 million people have less than £100 in savings to fall back on 

  •  9 million people often use credit to pay for food or essential bills.   

With workers set to lose untold millions in wages through self-isolation and the shut-down of large sections of the economy, we are calling for the government to follow the lead of other countries in guaranteeing income. 

  • Sweden, like German and Austria, is already subsidising a shorter working week, their government halving the costs with employers so that workers keep 90 per cent of their wages. 

  • Norway has promised employees 20 days of full pay and guaranteed the self-employed 80 per cent of recent income. And French workers will enjoy free rent (or mortgages) and free gas and electricity with a promise that no company will go under. 

  • If their employer pays the first 25 per cent of their wages Denmark will pay the other 75 per cent up to a maximum of just under £30,000 a year 

Ministers need to guarantee wages and suspend rent and mortgage payments – not just roll them over to be paid later.

This is crucial for living standards and people’s mental health now, but also for the hope of economic recovery later.  

We are going to need people to spend in their local areas - and if they’re paying off mountains of debt, they just won’t be able to do that. 

Our open letter to Boris Johnson


Dear Prime Minister, 

The Government can and must intervene to guarantee wages, protect people and save lives. 

11.5 million people already have less than £100 in savings to fall back on 

9 million people already use credit to pay for food or essential bills.   

This unfolding crisis will push people over the edge unless you take action. 

With workers set to lose untold millions in wages through self-isolation and the shut-down of large sections of the economy, we are calling for the government to follow the lead of other countries in securing incomes. 

Ministers must guarantee wages and suspend rent and mortgage payments – not just roll them over to be paid later.  

We need a people’s bailout – and we need one now. 

[SIGNATORY]
 

Sign now!

Dear Prime Minister,

The Government can and must intervene to guarantee wages, protect people and save lives.

11.5 million people already have less than £100 in savings to fall back on

9 million people already use credit to pay for food or essential bills.

This unfolding crisis will push people over the edge unless you take action.

With workers set to lose untold millions in wages through self-isolation and the shut-down of large sections of the economy, we are calling for the government to follow the lead of other countries in securing incomes.

Ministers must guarantee wages and suspend rent and mortgage payments – not just roll them over to be paid later.

We need a people’s bailout – and we need one now.

Sign now!

Call on Boris Johnson to act, NOW

2437 people have already signed this petition, let's make it 3000!
To view how we process personal and sensitive information, please see our privacy policy. You can opt out of communications at any time by clicking "unsubscribe" to campaign emails.
 
Join more than 600,000 people and become a GMB member today
Join Us!