UNION

Bombardier factory sell-off announced

Printable PDF
02 May 2019
Press Office

Press Office

GMB, the union for Bombardier workers, has demanded reassurance for workers and their families after the company announced the sell-off of its Northern Ireland plant.

An announcement on the company’s website today [May 2, 2019] said: 'As the Company moves to optimize its global manufacturing footprint, Bombardier will pursue the divestiture of the Belfast and Morocco aerostructures businesses. These are great businesses with tremendous capabilities'.

Bombardier workers have already had to put up with uncertainty over the Trump administration’s tariffs and 490 job losses announced last year [2].

Michael Muholland, GMB Organiser, said:

“GMB demands reassurances over the future of Bombardier workers in Northern Ireland.

“Our members – and their families - have already suffered a terrible year.

“After months of uncertainty following Trump’s tariffs – they were then hit with the news of 490 job losses - and now this.

“Bombardier jobs are absolutely vital to Northern Ireland’s economy and its time workers were treated with the respect they deserve.

"GMB will be meeting reps today and over the next few days to discuss next steps."

 
Join more than 600,000 people and become a GMB member today
Join Us!